Friday, September 11, 2009

It's Officially Melted

My heart, that is. And surprisingly, it's not because of the heat. It's because of these sweet kiddos--check out those eyes!
When we arrived in the DR, I had no idea how I would spend my time here. I did visit some English schools when we first got to Santiago but I really didn't connect with the directors or with their educational philosophies. I knew that if I was patient, something would come up, and when Jim & Rita told me that they really wanted to start a preschool up in the mountains, I said hooray! I'll do it! On Tuesday, we had our first class at La Escuelita in Los Pajones, on site at the clinic. Here's a peek of what it looks like.
We had to use what was available for the space, but I think it turned out okay, and we'll keep adding things as we find them. The kids (3 and 4 years old) seemed to enjoy playing with toys, play-do, listening to stories and singing songs. For not being away from their parents or relatives pretty much ever, they did an amazing job of marching right in and getting down to business! Those little shirts and scarves are their "uniforms" and the lady in the yellow is Yunessy, a helper (whose Spanish, unlike mine, never fails her).
(We have 12 kids at each school, but a few were hiding and didn't make the photo). My other "helper" is Máximon, who hangs out at Cheima's house (the neighbor) all day. He has trouble at school because of some learning issues, but he did a really nice job helping out!
Thursday was the first day of La Escuelita in La Tinajita. Here's the road to get to the Club de Madres (Mother's Club) where we meet for this school. It's a pretty secluded village, around 25 minutes of walking from the main road to get there. Hence, it's hard to make money, or to be in touch with the rest of the world, but there is a lot of good farm land around.
I got there early to set up, and I had to lock the door to keep the kids out until 9:30! (And the helpers. I think around 20 people wanted to come in and help...they were excited!). Aren't these kids adorable? This guy was moving so fast I had trouble catching him.
The girls playing "house."He really liked the Play-Do.And he really liked the trucks.And they all really liked the snack.
One little guy was hunched over his milk looking sad, and when I asked him what was wrong he shook his carton at me...it was empty! So we squeezed it really hard until some more came out. And then another little goober put his on the ground and jumped on it--I think he was making to lick it up but I didn't let him...they're clever!So this is where I'll be spending Tuesday and Thursday mornings! If you think if it, say a little prayer for these schools, and these sweet kids, that they might be nourished both with food and with learning.

Now it's time to pack for our weekend adventure to Las Terrenas! We'll be celebrating 2 years of married fun!

2 comments:

  1. You two are so inspiring to me! This is just absolutely AMAZING! I graduated this week! YAHOO! Hopefully I can make it there soon and we can try out a bunch of new lenses for our cameras!!! ;o) Miss you guys! Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you found Las Terrenas what is--a truly wonderful place. Congrats on what you're doing. Please look up http://fundacionmahatmagandhi.com. I'm curious about what you do and perhaps you might be curious about what we do. If you're still in town, give me a buzz at 809 371 0986. No need to publish this comment. Welcome

    ReplyDelete